PLAYLIST SESSION 004 - GETTING TO KNOW YOUR NEIGHBOURS - CURATED BY PAUL CAMO
PLAYLIST SESSION 004 - GETTING TO KNOW YOUR NEIGHBOURS -
WE LOVE PAUL CAMO
PLAYLIST LINK -
We first met Paul Camo when he came and played for us at The Sun Deck a couple of summers ago. There are a lot of DJ's but when you work in the industry you can spot a good one from a bad one.
A good DJ will notice the crowd, leave their ego at the door, realise that louder isn't always better and feel the vibe of room. This is Paul Camo. Full of vibes and he defiantly knows his stuff when it comes to music. Lets get to know him a little bit better...
1. In a few words tell us about yourself and what brought you to Margate.
My name is Paul Camo and I’m a graphic designer /Creative Director of Studio Camo, I collect records, dj occasionally, have a regular monthly show on NTS and I’m a part of Margate Radio. My partner Maisie suggested we move to Margate so I went along with the idea.
2. Describe your perfect night out?
Nowadays its probably a few drinks and good chat with a couple of pals at a cosy pub. Or a nice meal with friends.
3. If you could choose any Cocktail to accompany your playlist, what would it be and why?
Dark and stormy.
4. What are the reasons behind your choice of songs for the playlist and (if applicable) how do they relate to you?
I rarley use spotify. At home I generally listen to records, at the studio I have quite specific listening habits depending on what I’m working on, or what stage of the design process I’m at. The playlist I’ve pulled together is a flavour of some of the new music I’m into that’s perhaps a bit more accessible.
5. Who’s your musical icon?
I’ve got lots, John and Alice Coltrane, Miles Davis, Eugene McDaniels, Yusef Lateef, Charlie Mingus, Theo Parrish, David Axelrod, Pierre Bolez, Stevie Wonder, Kate Bush, Bjork, Nina Simone, Solange, Erykah Badu, Prince, Madlib, Herbie Hancock, Rod Templeton, Ian Carr, Jeff Parker, Nina Simone, Charles Stepney, Kali Malone, Joni Mitchell, Mary Lou Williams, CAN, Marc Moulin, Hieroglphic Being, Sun Ra, Gil Scot Heron, J Dilla, Phife Dawg etc etc
6. If you could be described as any Margate landmark what would it be!?
7. Most memorable moment?
Birth of my son Nelson.
8. Tell us your First OR your worst album?
First album I bought was some Electro compilation tape, called Street Sounds Electro 9 or 12. First vinyl lp was ‘People Instintive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm’ by A Tribe Called Quest. I’ve had lots of shit lps over the years because I’d often take a chance on something that then turned out to be total garbage.
9. What have you been doing to get yourself through lockdown!? Any hints and tips?
Trying to entertain my 4 year old from when he wakes up at 6am until he goes to sleep around 7.30pm. And also curating the Stay At Home Selections on Margate Radio whilst working on our relaunch.
10. And finally, If you could be on lockdown with any 3 people who would they be? (other than who you live with now so as not to offend anyone!)
Me myself and I
In next weeks Getting to know your Neighbours session we'll be getting to know Madam Pop Off a little bit better. Stay tuned for info @georgeandheart