PLAYLIST SESSIONS 009 - GETTING TO KNOW YOUR NEIGHBOURS - CURATED BY PO BOY TOM
We first met Tom when we came for a site meeting at The Sun Deck to take over the running of the Tiki Bar under our brand aptly named for these times...
He runs the street food hut Po'Boy with his partners Cat & Beanie and it soon became apparent that he knew a thing or two about music. Dan (the other half of The George & Heart) and myself, Kelly, have been in the music industry and running bars for quite some time so when we got the chance to take over a beach hut in Margate with such a wonderful view we jumped at the chance. Between us, Tom and I book all of the DJS and programme the events and Dan brings the sounds with his killer gold leaf Funktion-One Soundsystem which many of you will know well if you've ever spent a day dancing down there!
Tom also curates all of the playlists at The Sun Deck so of course he was on our hit list for a George & Heart playlist sessions Getting to know your Neighbours.
He's got some of the best answers to our Q&A's and this playlist has been on repeat since he sent it over so we hope you enjoy getting to know him that little bit better like we did :) Thanks Tom.. We LOVE you X
1. In a few words tell us about yourself and what brought you to Margate.
Well, I queued up to take a human birth, and I popped out in QEQM about 30 years ago…
2. Describe your perfect night out? Camping somewhere wild, by the coast, cooking on an open fire with my family and friends watching the sun go down. Nothing feels better than moments like that!
3. If you could choose any Cocktail to accompany your playlist, what would it be and why? I’d like to say a New Orleans staple like the Sazerac… but I have to confess I’ve never tried it! So it would probably be a Caiprinha – the drink that changed my life in Rio De Janeiro. But as they say over there, don’t miss out the secret ingredient… Love!
4. What are the reasons behind your choice of songs for the playlist and (if applicable) how do they relate to you? Music was one of the main founding blocks of Po’boy. I’ve tried to capture the spirit of Creole in this selection, especially at the beginning. I wanted to try and bring back that beach feeling that we all yearn for during Lockdown. As the playlist curator for The Sun Deck too, I wanted to capture a bit of that too. Ultimately its good times music in all sense of the words.
5. Who’s your musical icon? Tough one, maybe Fela Kuti…? Or George Harrison…
6. If you could be described as any Margate landmark what would it be!? The Shell Grotto. I’m forever collecting stones and shells and the place is just so magical and inspiring... just like me 😂
7. Most memorable moment and why? There’s so many. Life’s been a journey, especially over the past few years. But holding my daughter Indigo after we had the most empowering natural breech birth is a moment that I hold and treasure. And also the moment I read Jonathan Livingstone Seagull to my mum as she left her body was also an incredible and life-changing moment for me. For those that haven’t read it, DO!
8. Tell us your First OR your worst album? My first album was Fatboy Slim’s ‘You’ve Come A Long Way Baby’ back when I was 6 years old. The Rockafella Skank got me stepping even at that age! I remember I had to ask my dad to buy it for me because it was parental advisory. I still remember being in my bedroom singing “Fatboy Slim is fucking in heaven” and my dad joining in!
9. What will be the first thing you do when Lockdown has fully ended? Hasn’t it ended already?! Who knows? We’re opening Po’boy on the 3rd of July which is exciting. But the first thing I can’t wait to do is get back in my campervan.
10. And finally, now it’s possible to mix with 6 others in an open space, pick 6 icons to spend the ultimate sunshine bbq with…. Francis Mallman (to ultimately cook the BBQ), Fela Kuti and Tony Allen, Timothy Leary, David Chang and Seth Rogan.
Ahhhh thanks Tom. We love you and your playlists are mega. Anyone that wants to make sure that the soundtrack to your life is always sorted go follow Tom on Spotify!
Tune in next week for some more Margate residents spilling the beans on their life and putting some great tunes together @georgeandheart for you all to enjoy!